This section explains how to import contacts into your Campaign Manager account either to update existing records or add new numbers. To import contacts you need to go to the Manual Imports page, which lists your recent import history and the status of those imports. Then click "Import Contacts".
If you are importing data to add to your database, ensure you have completed all the contact properties that you need. If you are importing data for a specific campaign, ensure you have added a column for Campaign Name, so that you can easily find the contacts using the "Campaign" property.
N.B. when you import data, you can override existing data for those contacts, so ensure you have accurate data in your file.
To begin, browse for the file you would like to import and click "Next". You can import either an Excel Spreadsheet or CSV file. If your file is very large, the process may take a couple of minutes.
On the next page you will configure your import and map your contact properties.
- Filename: the name of the file you are importing
- Sheet: choose the sheet you want to import from (not applicable for CSV)
- Rows: how many rows of data there are in your file
- File has header row: have you used the first row to include the names of the properties you are importing?
- Business unit: which business unit would you like to import to?
- Format mobile numbers for: the country your mobile numbers are formatted for
- Allow opt-ins: you can import opted out numbers and opt them back in (find out more)
- Conflict resolutions: how would you like to deal with issues encountered during import?
- Duplicates: numbers in your file that are repeated
- Existing contacts: numbers that already exist in the database
- Invalid numbers: numbers that are not in a valid format for the country you have selected
- Existing test or seed numbers: numbers that are set up as test or seed contacts
There is a drop down menu for all the Conflict Resolutions options. If you choose Stop Import you will need to manually resolve the issue once Campaign Manager has uploaded the contacts. If you choose either Ignore All, Use First or Update Campaign Manager can continue the import unaided.
A preview of the file will appear under Data Preview.
Map Contact Data
Data Mapping allows you to select the fields you want to map to the system. Campaign Manager will automatically read the headings on your file, and then allow you to map any of its custom fields to those headings. Validation Rules detail the rules that apply to each of the fields (e.g. Maximum field length of 25 chars). You can choose to Truncate or Trim the contact data fields if they do no match the Validation Rules. Truncate will chop the field to satisfy the Validation Rules and prevent the import from showing an error. Trim will cut unwanted whitespace (can include spaces or tabs) from the start and end of the field on import making the import field data more accurate.
When you click "Import" you will be taken to the Manual Imports page, which details all of your recent imports.
While the file is in the validating process, you can click the magnifying glass icon on the table, which will take you to the "Import Detail" page. This will show you the progress of the import and the numbers of invalid, duplicate, existing and existing seed numbers found.
If you selected "Stop Import" on the first import page the row will show brown with ‘Conflicts Found’ in the status column. To resolve conflicts you need to click on the crayon icon and choose your resolutions from the drop down lists next to the relevant rows.
N.B. You can also view the conflicting contacts if you want, by clicking “View”. This data will remain available for just 7 days after import.
Once you have resolved your conflicts click ‘Continue Import with Selected Resolutions’ to complete the import process. The Import Detail page will then show the success of the import.
You will be able to return to and view the import on the Manual Imports page.