Filters allow you to create segments of your campaign recipients according to search criteria in order to send them different messages. There are two main reasons for being able to do this:
- To allow you to send different messages to different subsets of contacts (e.g. boys and girls)
- To allow you to send a different message if your original message will exceed the length of a single SMS including a merge field (e.g. if you include first name and you have some contacts with very long first names)
You can either set up your filters when you create a campaign or from the filters page. Filters can be found under Messaging in the menu. On the Filters page, you will be able to see a list of your current filters and edit and delete them, or create a new filter.
To add a new filter, click "Create Filter".
This will open a new page to create the new filter.
Fill in the fields as required;
- Enter a name for your Campaign filter
- Select the criteria you want to use to segment your contacts (this works in the same way as contact search)
- Add your search criteria and click "Save"
Once you have saved a filter you can use it the in campaign set up at the compose message stage, to segment the contacts (e.g. by gender).