There are 2 options available for sending text messages using an email client.
Using any email client
The Messaging Cloud can be used as an email to SMS Text gateway. This means people across your business can send out text messages from their email accounts.
To send an SMS via email:
- Ensure your Message Manager account is configured to allow the sender email address to send texts. Search for SMS via Email within our knowledgebase.
- Create a new email and address it to your recipients mobile number in the following format firstname.lastname@example.org (UK example) -e.g international format of the mobile number plus @e-txt.co.uk
- Enter the message text in the body of the email (not the subject)
- Enter any SMS options in the subject line (see below)
You can store these ‘text addresses’ in the standard contact lists and databases in your email account and use them to send text messages.
The mobile recipient can reply directly back into your email system by sending a text.
As an Message Manager user, you have control over who in your business can send from email to text – and how many texts they can send each day. The emails sent out as texts are charged against your Message Manager account – so Message Manager has controls, reports and alerting features to keep you in charge.
We recommend that you send emails from an email address that can receive replies. This is necessary so we can advise you if a message could not be sent, for example if contains invalid characters.
Many of the SMS options/parameters available in Message Manager and Campaign Manager are also available through “SMS via email” and these are set in the email subject field. Each option is separated by the hash (#) character e.g.
DELIVERAFTER=18 MAR 2011 13:30#ORIGINATOR=Tester01#SENDDELIVERYSTATUS=true
Available Options Are:
- DeliverAfter - Date and Time after which the SMS should be delivered
- Originator – The name or number to be displayed in the from field
- MessageGuid – Gives the message a unique identifier.
- ValidityPeriod – Validity period in hours from when the message is sent, if this period elapses before the message can be delivered then it is abandoned.
- Type – GSM/UTF8.
- SendDeliveryStatus – Sends a delivery receipt back when the message is delivered to handset.
- DeliveryStatusURL – A url to which the delivery receipt should be sent instead.
- WAPURL – Wap url which makes this a WAP PUSH message.
In addition to the options that can be specified in the Subject of the Email there is a terminating character #end# which can be placed in the Message to signify where the text for the SMS stops. This can be used to prevent accidental texting of auto signatures etc.
If you use Outlook 2007, we have a great new e-txt™ Plug-In application for you, see the User Portal for more details.